First steps toward gender equality (But there's got to be more)

AdamMarks78

Denelle Dixon, the CEO and Executive Director of the Stellar Development Foundation, wrote an article last year detailing some of the ways she envisions blockchain technology helping the issue of gender equality.

First, she talks about the importance of giving women greater access to financial resources/institutions. Here's what she says about this:
"Women are often blocked from traditional financial services due to systemic issues like earning income in more informal sectors, lack of identification, insufficient collateral, mobility constraints and limited financial literacy. But blockchain technology – which creates identity in new ways and offers new on-ramps and exit-ramps – has new ideas to bridge the gap, and make financial services available to women and communities wherever they are. "
Second, she mentions how women migrant workers account for half of the remittances sent worldwide. Blockchain could make those international transfers quicker and cheaper, giving those women who are working more of the money they've earned.

Finally, she discusses how blockchain could offer more ownership over their resources. And ownership equals freedom.

While I think these are some great starting points, I really feel like they're just the beginning. What other ways do you see blockchain technology having the ability to lift women out of oppressive situations? How can blockchain fuel greater gender equality in other areas besides finances?

You can see the article by Denelle Dixon here: https://www.coindesk.com/how-blockchain ... r-equality
JohnBW1973

It's funny you mention this. I had never considered how blockchain technology might impact gender equality issues. Then, a year ago someone forwarded this article to me: https://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories ... ian-action

Apparently, UN Women held an event in New York where they brought several companies together to showcase how blockchain technology could benefit gender equality efforts. The companies that participated shared some really fascinating ideas that are already possible. And let's be honest, all of this is still in its infancy. As time passes and more entrepreneurs and thought-leaders enter this space, we'll see things really blow up.

When I first heard about cryptocurrency a decade or so ago, I never imagined we'd see the day that the tech behind it might help with worldwide gender equality. There's an important lesson there: Our discoveries and inventions often have application far beyond what we initially imagine.
MrsLesperance

AdamMarks78,

I'd recommend this article that Rebeca Fernandez wrote last year, Solving Gender Inequality by using Blockchain Technology. In it, she argues that blockchain tech can either make gender inequality worse or better - it all depends on how it's designed. As she puts it...
There is a very real risk that instead of solving the problem of gender bias, AI will only exacerbate it further. Already today we see targeted ads where algorithms are perpetuating the pay gap by targeting listings for better-paid jobs toward me.
Fernandez sees promise in blockchain technology for addressing gender inequality. But, in her mind, it will be through the flatter organizations and lower coordination costs that blockchain technology makes possible. This is a less flashy use of the blockchain, but it's likely to be more useful and sustainable.

Return to “GOAL 5: Gender Equality”