The Agriculture-Climate Connection

JohnBW1973

Last month, Bill Gates delivered the McDougall Memorial Lecture and talked about the importance of addressing the climate crisis through agricultural technology/reform. He noted several innovations that have already made an impact, including the creation of "the International Fund for Agricultural Development and the World Bank, which aims to help 50 low- and middle-income countries gather, analyze and use data to track progress and improve policy making."

Just this week, there was a breakthrough in crop genetics that has the potential to increase productivity while mitigating atmospheric carbon.

I'm hearing more and more about how reforming the way we do agriculture could lead to solving the climate problem. What agricultural advances do you see coming that could have an impact on the climate crisis? How important do you think agricultural tech will be to this problem? What companies are catching your eye with their solutions?
MrsLesperance

Yes! Agricultural reform is essential.

Climate Change Connections put this video together that deals with this issue:

After watching that, I'd recommend visiting the agricultural portion of their website. They offer a number of important reform/innovation suggestions on a variety of related topics, from agroforestry to livestock production. Each section includes several ideas that could be built on and explored in numerous ways.

I believe there are some real opportunities in this sector for environmentally-minded entrepreneurs.

Return to “GOAL 13: Climate Action”